Wednesday, January 31, 2007

About time for an update

So I realized I haven't put an update on here lately. It wasn't all do to being busy, that's just not the case lately. I am...but not so much that I can't type out a little bit here and there to keep folks up to date.

So generally, things have been quiet here in Dora. Quiet is a relative thing of course. Since the last update, one of our platoons had a guy shot in the head (he's fine and in Germany right now), an Iraqi LT was shot in the leg, we've had a couple vehicles blown up to the point of being deadlined, a little girl was shot a by an insurgent down the street from us (the platoon out there at the time took her to the hospital, think she ended up losing a leg..but we're the bad guys?), my medic patched up a kid that had been shot in the chest in a dispute over propane (still...we're the bad guys?), we've had CBS reporter Lara Logan here doing a story on the market (it was a 3 part series...still trying to find it, but it is out there...I've seen the video), a guy blew himself up placing an IED in the market (he didn't die...but lost a hand among other things) and numerous spray and pray shots.

And my part in most of this? I'm rarely on the patrol that this stuff happens to (except for the Lara Logan one...). It's weird, really. No real complaints. Quiet's not necessarily a bad thing in this area...and compared to what it used to be, it's amazingly quiet.

I mentioned the Iraqi LT above. We're working with the Iraqi Army now. They're in the Market every day with us. Not 24hrs like us, but they're there. Mostly competent. Generally trying to do the right thing and definitely wanting a fight. The ones that are left anyway. When the unit heard they were coming here, 2/3 of them left. They can do that apparently. I guess they heard bad things about Dora and decided they've had enough of playing army.

That microcosm of an event shows why we're still here, though. The numbers shown on TV of how many Iraqis have been trained and are "on duty" are skewed to the say least. Not to mention the competence level. They'll never be to a competence level that we in the West would consider acceptable. It's not in their culture. But we're also not training them to fight another large army that's well trained and capable. So really they just need numbers, decent training and decent equipment. All of which they're getting. The IA's (Iraqi Army) rides around in the same humvees that we do, minus all the armor upgrades we have (but it's still a great ride and 100% better than what I had the first time I was here). They have good rifles, good clothes, and what seems to be an improving logistics line. Logistics is the hardest thing for them to learn. They never had it. The long logistics lines that we take for granted are a foreign concept to most armies in the world (even to an army like China...). These guys are still barely a step above foraging...and really most of what they do could be consider foraging.

I know "The Surge" is a big deal in the news. It'll be effecting us, apparently. Exactly how right now I'm not sure. But I have no doubt it'll be a huge benefit. Mainly because of the implementation strategy they have in mind is exactly what needs to happen to effectively fight the war that we're in. What seems to be on the drawing board is exactly what SFC Perez and I had talked about when we got here and saw what was happening. You can't fight from large fortresses like we are. You HAVE to spread out and be more flexible. That's what's going to happen with this "surge". Lots of little bases around Baghdad. Makes it easier to make quick hits and raids...to more effectively eliminate the insurgents.

But I digress. For those of you watching the Super Bowl...look for one of my team leaders, SGT Lehigh. He'll be in the Baghdad Bowl aired on CBS prior to the Super Bowl. Should be playing CB...not sure for Bears or Colts (they'll be wearing those jersies). Me...I'll be hanging out at one of our new duty stations here...the Iraqi "911" center. Part of the process of integrating 24hr operations to these guys. That's another foreign concept to them. But we're helping them get together quick responder areas to send Iraqi Police, National Police, and IA. Eventually it'll include ambulance and fire trucks. Baby steps for now. But at least in the right direction. Now all we need is time.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, Bobby. Reading your information opens my eyes as to how things really are for you there. There's alot of people who need to read your blog.
Be safe.
Mom

1/31/2007 03:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We got both Time and NewsWeek which are of course filled with war stories- it's great to have our own unbiased first hand account. We appreciate your insight and hard work! Thanks! Take care!!!
Wendy

1/31/2007 05:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO good to hear from you!! I keep hearing about the Iraqi Army, but never really get a good idea of where we are with preparing them. Thank you for the first hand story on where we are with them. Sounds like you guys are really doing a great job over there!!! We are so proud you of you!!!

Melissa

2/01/2007 07:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you OK. I tried to find the vidoe you where talking about but could only find this one.
http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/
main500251.shtml?id=1375971n

I could not tell if you are in any of the shots, you soldiers all look alike on film.:)

2/01/2007 12:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone interested in the video, who I have not send it to, please let me know and I will email you the link.
Krisy

2/01/2007 06:09:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Lewallen said...

Thanks for the update. Do you have an idea when your unit will be rotating out?

2/04/2007 02:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bobby,
I have been keeping up with you through your mom. My husband and I enjoyed reading your blog and getting the real news about what is happening in Iraq. We are praying for a safe tour of duty for you.
Good luck!
Everette Studdard

2/04/2007 05:55:00 PM  
Blogger Robert Plummer said...

Larry - We're looking at next fall sometime.

Glen - Krisy can send the video to ya. I'm not in any of em ;)

2/05/2007 08:29:00 AM  
Blogger Brownie Troop 326 - Maysville, KY said...

Hello Bobby, I am the leader of a brownie troop from Maysville KY. We have a little girl in the troop that is related to Michael Puccini. As a brownie troop the girls are wanting to take up donations to send some girl scout cookies over to you all. What you all are doing is so very important and we want you to know how much we really appreciate it. Please let me know if this is okay. We are going to be taking up donations and we working at the Regional basketball tournament to raise some money for the cookies. Please e-mail me at kelliecracraft@yahoo.com. I hope to hear from you soon and please stay safe

2/07/2007 09:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Krisy
If you could send the link to glen.dudley@gmail.com

Thanks

2/15/2007 06:50:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Bobby--I love reading your insightful account. It makes so much sense, and I never thought about the culture differences and how they impact the training that the IA needs. I'm sending your blog link to a bunch of people, and I hope that is ok. I really want folks to read your views. I'm glad things have calmed down in Dora. Keep the info coming.
love, Sarah Atkinson

2/15/2007 07:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home